Altrusa International was founded in Nashville, Tennessee in 1917 by Mamie L. Bass.
In 1935, Altrusa became international when the first club in Mexico was organised. Since that first step over US borders, Altrusa moved into Puerto Rico, Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, India, Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Ireland, Great Britain, Bermuda, Canada, and New Zealand. In 1946, Altrusa sent its first representative to the United Nations.
In 1962, Altrusa International established the Altrusa International Foundation, which is dedicated to improving economic well-being and quality of life through a commitment to community services and literacy. In 1966, the organization began to look to America’s youth as the future of Altrusa and established ASTRA service clubs. ASTRA encourages young people, ages 13 to 21, to participate in community service.
Enjoy this video about Altrusa International and its 100 years Centennial Legacy!
100 years centennial legacy from HDM on Vimeo.